- ½ Tablespoon(s) olive oil
- ½ Cup(s) chopped shallots or sweet onion
- ⅓ Cup(s) vodka
- 1 Cup(s) canned evaporated skim milk
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- ⅛ Teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper (optional)
- Heat the oil in a heavy, large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots or onion, and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes.
- Add the vodka; carefully ignite the sauce with a long match (the flame will extinguish in about 1 minute). Reduce the heat to low and simmer 2 minutes, shaking pan occasionally.
- Add the milk, and simmer, stirring frequently, until the sauce is reduced and has thickened, about 10 minutes. Add the tamato sauce and cayenne, if desered, and simmer until thickened again, about 5 minutes more.
- Serve immediately over hot pasta, or store, covered, in refrigerator, for up tot 3 days.
- Makes about 2 cups, or four ½ cup services