Mash Potatoes - Make Ahead in Crock
- 8 large Russet potatoes (red ones)
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- ⅓ cup of chives, chopped - optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Additional butter
- Peel potatoes and cut into large cubes. Place in a pot with enough water to cover the potatoes. Add some salt to the pot. Gently boil the potatoes until they are fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander. Place in a large mixing bowl, add the sour cream and cream cheese. Using a mixer beat until smooth. Add the butter, chives, salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the potatoes in a greased two quart casserole. Dot with butter and sprinkle with paprika . Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Serves 8 people
- This recipe can be made the day before dinner and refrigerated in a crock-pot. Then, on the serving day, just turn on the crock-pot at the low setting and slowly cook the potatoes for about 2-3 hours (to be ready when the rest of the dinner is ready).
- Freezing (and un-freezing)
- Mashed Potatoes:
- These potatoes (or your favorite recipe) can also be frozen. The morning that they are to be served, the potatoes should be thawed. the potatoes should be covered with aluminum foil, poke holes in the top of the foil for the steam to escape. Place in a 300 degree oven for 30-45 minutes or until heated through. You can also drizzle 4 tablespoons of butter over the thawed potatoes BEFORE placing them in the oven.