- 2 cups pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola or corn oil
- Heat the oven (or toaster oven) to 350°.
- Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and toast them for 6 minutes or until they are fragrant and their color deepens slightly.
- In a medium-size bowl, stir together the spice mix.
- In a saucepan, combine the glaze ingredients and bring them to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly.
- Stir in the toasted nuts and continue to stir until all the nuts are shiny and the liquid is gone, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Move the glazed nuts to a mixing bowl, sprinkle on the spice mix, and toss them well to coat.
- Spread the coated nuts on a cookie sheet and return them to the oven for another 4 minutes; check regularly to make sure they don’t burn.
- Remove and let cool. Makes 2 cups.