Onion and Red-Pepper Sauce
- 2 Pound(s) onions, chopped very coarse
- 1 Teaspoon(s) dried basil leaves
- ½ Teaspoon(s) salt
- ½ Teaspoon(s) minced garlic
- 3 jars (7 ounces each) roasted red peppers, drained
- ½ Cup(s) red-wine vinegar
- ½ Teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper
- Put onions, ¼ cup oil, the basil, salt and garlic in a 3-quart sauce pan over high heat. Cook, stirring often, 10 to 12 minutes until onions are tender bu tnot browned. Spoon into food processor ro blender. Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth. When cool, ladle into clean jars. Top with ¼ inch oil; cover tightly and refrigerate. Makes 5 cups.
- Microwave method: Assemble onion mixture as directed in a 3-quart microwave-safe bowl. Microwave uncovered on high 10 to 12 minutes, stirring every 4 minutes until onions are tender. Proceed as directed.